We have been busy little beavers the past couple of days. Everyone has had a different job to do, but we’re getting it all done.
Mom and I have been painting doors. The bi-fold closet doors are completely painted and put back together – two coats each. We figured it out, and on the closet doors alone, we painted 84 coats of paint! We’re working on painting the rest of the interior doors now. We will be finished with the girls’ end of the house this morning, and we will start on our end of the house this afternoon. Our new bedding has arrived, so it is time to pick out new paint to our room and I will be painting it agian.
Yesterday, while Mom was painting, I was banished to The Dungeon to finish the under-floor insulation. There were six bays under the mechanical room, and the entire floor under the kitchen left to insulate, and I am proud to say IT IS ALL DONE! We never have to even touch another piece of insulation again! Tod thought he would help me while I was cutting a strip of insulation – he was bounding around on it like a rabbit, it was hilarious!
The dogs are still supervising all the action, and I know they make fun of us when we do something they think is funny. Psssssst! Luna, let me tell you a secret . . . .
Whenever the weather is nice enough, Dad, Tom, and Aaron have been working on siding and decking. The siding is now 3/4 of the way done, with just a little left to do. Aaron has been working diligently on the back deck, and he is about halfway done with it. The decking now extends beyond the support posts.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .
Floors are being installed! Specifically, the tile floors! Before he installed the tile, Dad had to lay down cement board. Yesterday, he completed the tile in the girls’ bathroom! I cannot believe the difference it makes in that room! Their bathroom is so warm and inviting. It is feminie looking without being too “girlie” It is beautiful, and I can’t wait to see it completed!
Dad also started tiling our bathroom. Thursday evening we were having a little design issue. The big 16″x16″ tiles would not work with the pattern we had chosen, and Aaron suggested we use 12″x12″ tiles for the feature part of the layout, and use the 16″x16″ tiles for the remainder. Problem solved.
Dad laid the center piece of our feature pattern, then the four pieces that touch each of its sides. The two end pieces are just space holders while the thinset dried on the others.
Today, he will lift those two end tiles, and he’ll complete the pattern which will look like this (with some very obvious cut and paste work on my part):
We will only have this pattern on these three tiles, the remainder of the floor will be installed with the larger 16″x16″ tiles. The shower and tub surround will use smaller tiles from the same collection.
As it is Thanksgiving weekend, we did take a little time to decorate for Christmas. Mom and I decided that we could not spend an entire holiday season without a tree or any decorations in the new house, so we got a tree that will not hamper our work or be in our way in any manner. It’s about two feet tall, and we’ll be able to move it around if we need to!
We are definitely progressing, and at a quick pace. MIssion “Finished by Christmas” is well on its way!